I’m going to admit that I really struggle with action scenes. Or struggled, depending on what my publisher says about the myriad of actions scenes I have sprinkled throughout the sequel to When Stars Die.
My publisher really had to tear up the one action chapter I had in…
MUSIC TO INFLUENCE YOU TO WRITE
Feel like you need a song to influence you to write a scene or character? Here are a list of Playlists and Songs you can listen to to get you going!
- When Everything is Wrong and you need a pick-me-up
- a bunch of songs that make me Legit Happy!!
- Carried Away
- Some Days they Taste Like Lemonade
- Picking Up the Pieces
- Keep Your Head Up
- It’s Time to Begin, isn’t it?
- Endless Cheesin
- Free Yourself
- lets do it (lets fall in love); a playlist for an old-fashioned love affair
- Songs to fuck to
- Between Two Points
- Erotic Moments
- Nice and Slow
- Breathe My Name
- We Had a Promise Made
- The Only Sex Playlist
- Skin & Bones
- A Forever Love
SAD SCENES/ HEARTBREAK
- Hello My Old Heart
- See all my dreams die
- We All Feel Lost Sometimes
- Whispers Wasted in the Sand
- Time to Study
- One of those Sad Days
- Sad Sad Songs
- Goodnight Moon
- When I Run Through the Deep Dark Forrest
PSYCHOPATHIC CHARACTER/SUSPENSE SCENE
- [MADNESS;] | a playlist to get in the insane muse for your character
- The Devil Within Digital Daggers
- Villains and Demons
- Lose Your Soul
- Savage Desires
- I’ll Be Dead Before the Day is Done
- A Killer’s Symphony
- Murder He Says
- A Boy’s Best Friend
- In a Stranger’s Dream
BADASS CHARACTERS/ACTION-FIGHT SCENE
- Not Your Regular Damsel in Distress
- Biting Down
- Light it Up
- This is it, the Apocalypse
- I Pretend I’m a Bad Ass
- There is No Reconciliation
- Shit to Fuck Shit Up to
- Let’s Go Hunting
- Cancel the Apocalypse
- Red Lipstick and a Black Jacket
- The Light Shines Through
- When in France
- Sing Me to Sleep
- Violin at the Movies
- À la dérive
- Home is where your heart it is
- My Game my Rules
- The Devil is in the Details
- The Pale Horse
- Excellent Taste
- Kill Run
- Where is My Mind?
- Nothing Here is Vegetarian
- An Absence of You
- I Misbehave
- Something Lonely in the Bone
- I’m not a Psychopath…
- Thank You, Johann Sebastian Bach
- Dying From These Exist Wounds
- You Put the Devil in Me
- Study and Investigate
- Fist Kisses and Love Bites
- Sorrow Waited Sorrow Won
- Lost Boy
- You the Moon
- Taller Than God
- A Very Supernatural Roadtrip
- I Call This One “the Blue Steel”
- Driver Picks the Music, Shotgun Shuts his Cakehole!
- Bad Blood
- An Angry Blade
- Wow Just Smash Your Mouths Together
- Fury is Coming
- The Sacrifice
I’d love to add more (music and fandoms) but let’s just give you this for now! Happy Listening!
ALSO: These (obviously) are not my fanmixes/playlists so give some props to the people who made it! They would love it! Also, if you see your playlist on here and would like it removed, tell me! Thank you!
I’m so frustrated. I have them in my head. I have Rose and Sydney in my head and I know their pasts.
But every time I try to sit down and write them, I end up staring at a blank screen. I’msofrustrated.
It’s been a while since I’ve written anything for my Sydney and Rose story. It’s a very cathartic story for me and helps me deal with my own depression and anxiety.
Both Syndey and Rose are so messed up that I can project my emotions onto them and it works. I haven’t been as upset lately, so I haven’t written much. But I actually missed them, so I wrote some more backstory today.
Poor Sydney. Her life is so much more messed up than I anticipated.
HEY WRITER FRIENDS
there’s this amazing site called realtimeboardwhich is like a whiteboard where you can plan and draw webs and family trees and timelines and all that sort of stuff. you can also insert videos, documents, photos, and lots of other things. you can put notes and post-its and, best of all, you can invite other people to be on the board with you and edit together!!
this is really really awesome and a great tool for novel planning, so if you’re doing nanowrimo…. this could be good for you!!
1. Don’t think that being published will make you happy. It will for four weeks, if you are lucky. Then it’s the same old fucking shit.
2. Hemingway was fucking wrong. You shouldn’t write drunk. (See my third novel for details.)
3. Hemingway was also right. ‘The first draft of everything is shit.’
4. Never ask a publisher or agent what they are looking for. The best ones, if they are honest, don’t have a fucking clue, because the best books are the ones that seemingly come from nowhere.
5. In five years time the semi-colon is going to be nothing more than a fucking wink.
6. In five years time every fucking person on Twitter will be a writer.
7. Ignore the fucking snobs. Write that space zombie sex opera. Just give it some fucking soul.
8. If it’s not worth fucking reading, it’s not worth fucking writing. If it doesn’t make people laugh or cry or blow their fucking minds then why bother?
9. Don’t be the next Stephen King or the next Zadie Smith or the next Neil Gaiman or the next Jonathan Safran fucking Foer. Be the next fucking you.
10. Stories are fucking easy. PLOT OF EVERY BOOK EVER: Someone is looking for something. COMMERCIAL VERSION: They find it. LITERARY VERSION: They don’t find it. (That’s fucking it.)
11. No-one knows anything. Especially fucking me. Except:
12. Don’t kill off the fucking dog.
13. Oh, yeah, and lastly: write whatever you fucking want.
Matt Haig, “Some Fucking Writing Tips” (via robotgod)
All of this and especially #7.
#12, definitely listen to #12
For character development of course.
I miss my OCs right now.
The characters I created from my ‘vampire’ dream 3 years ago finally have names! I’m really excited.
There’s Pasha, Sigfried, and Samael (Sam)!
THE WORST PART ABOUT CONSTRUCTING YOUR OWN FICTIONAL UNIVERSE IS
OH MY GOSH I JUST FOUND MY OLD STORY IDEAS.
I HAVE A STORY CALLED THE PRIEST AND THE WHORE AND ALL I REMEMBER IS THAT IT WAS AMAZING BUT I NEVER BOTHERED TO WRITE DOWN OH GOD WHY DO I DO THIS TO MYSELF
using the prompts below, write a drabble (or whatever) a day for the next 30 days. find someone willing to hit you if you miss a day. look back at the end and go ‘oh! i’m a writer!’.
beginning. accusation. restless. snowflake. haze. flame. formal. companion. move. silver. prepared. knowledge. denial. wind. order. thanks. look. summer. transformation. tremble. sunset. mad. thousand. outside. winter. diamond. letters. promise. simple. future.
David Leavitt (via writingquotes)